Friday, April 4, 2008

Hair in Second Life

I was going to write a How-to guide on hair, but well.. I'm not that skilled in creating such yet. I just broke into the photoshop mold, and while I'm not the greatest, I think I'm doing alright. I'm just waiting for that inspiration to kick. However.. since I love hair, and I'm currently rocking at least 100+ hairstyles in my inventory, I thought I'd write this /how to/ guide on hair buying and styling.


I've seen many, many mistakes made by people and hell, I've made a few too. In fact, I made one just yesterday. While going to a store with my two second life husbands, it was a hair store.. and that said hair store had their prices marked down from 12 - 12. Just for that day. So I figure, if I see something I like, I'll buy it and take my ass to bed. I did, I really did find something I liked, and I bought it. Which actually put a horrible cramp in my linden stash. (I save whatever I make for piddling my items for more uploads from Photoshop, that stuff adds up.) However, I made one mistake.


*I DID NOT PUT ON A DEMO! (Damn it, my upload money is gone now!)

I put the hair on after I bought it and had a damn fit. It was horrid! I mean, it looked good in the picture but why not me!?

Silly bint! Even though the hair looks damn good on someone else, and even the picture, doesn't mean it'll look good on you. Now, you could spend extra money and time buying a skin and making a shape that'll fit the hair that you just bought, but.. why do that? Costs too goddamned much. But I digress.

If you want to buy hair, you have to have these things in mind.

1. Does it go with the contours of your face?

a. You don't want hair that'll make your face look too obscene. At certain angles, your avatar has that feral grandma look, sometimes hair could make that even more horrid.

2. Does it go with the style of your avatar?

a. If you're a punker, how would it seem if you were hair that was of the pure elegance? I know when I'm wearing my 'dirt', I don't want to have beautiful, luxurious hair. My favorite pick would be the Jackal hair from Deviant Kitties, minus the cage. If you want to be a ragamuffin, you gotta add in the hair too.

b. Now if you're going for sheer excellence, you don't want any hair that would have a ton of color, but.. if you're tactful and the hair has a lot of taste and glam along with the colors, you can possibly get away with it.

c. If you just want to have that regular 'pair of jeans and a t-shirt' look that I have, get.. regular hair. I know, I know, there's a ton of regular hair out there, just find one that goes along with the second step.

3. Is it something you'd wear again?

a. That is the most important thing. If you buy hair, would you wear it again because you like it that much? I know I have 100+ hairs in my inventory, but I cycle through constantly, picking hair that would go well with my skin, eyes, and clothing that I'm wearing for that moment.

4. Is it cheap!?

a. Yes, there is a such thing as cheap hair. I remember I used to spend 500$L a pop for decent looking hair that flows and had a certain curl, but then I was introduced to Deviant Kitties, Gritty Kitty, ETD etc. The cheapest of all hair came from Kin Keiko, and by gods.. 100L$ is something I could afford.

b. Does the cheap hair look good? With all the steps above, that's the /main/ thing you have to consider. Does it look good enough for YOU. Does it go well with what YOU want to wear. Does it shape, mold, fit, and just look awesomely bad ass?


For now at least, I'm out of hair buying tips. Make sure you go for the cheap hair. The cheap hair actually does look damn good, I'll come up with a list later on. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents of this current blog is the Author's thoughts and ideals on a gaming platform called Second Life (TM). She is in no way an employee of Linden Labs (TM) nor volunteers, she merely plays and enjoys the game to it's fullest capacity. The author of this current blog has the divine right to speak her mind at all times, albeit harsh, foul, and uncalled for. Take offense if you need. Only the author should be held accountable for her actions and words, and not those who choose to reply to such.